Spring has finally sprung in the Black Hills bringing with it all manner of leafy greens. This is a perfect time to try new salad recipes and new takes on old favorites.
This kale recipe is a fresh take on perennially popular Cesar salad. So, instead of greeting a Roman emperor with “Hail, Cesar!” try this wonderful salad with a shout of “Kale Cesar!” You won’t regret it.
- 1 bunch regular (curly) kale, center ribs removed, leaves thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated Parmesan or Pecorino
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 anchovy filets packed in oil, drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 1 cup toasted walnuts
- 4 soft or medium boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine kale and cheese in a large bowl; set aside. In a mortar or a small food processor, combine cumin, crushed red pepper flakes, anchovy filets, and garlic. Pulverize with a pestle or process. Whisk in lemon juice and 1/3 cup oil; season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle dressing over kale mixture and toss to combine. Season salad with salt and pepper. Divide salad among plates and garnish with walnuts. Drizzle with more oil. Season with more pepper. Arrange eggs around rim of plates, and serve.